How to Prepare your vehicle for a Winter Storm
Checklist for winter travel.
Minimize travel, but if travel is necessary, keep the following in your vehicle:
- Cell phone, portable charger, and extra batteries.
- Windshield scraper and small broom
- Battery-powered radio with extra batteries.
- Flashlight with extra batteries.
- An Emergency supply kit
- Snack food.
- Extra hats, coats, mittens, and blankets .
- Small sack of sand for generating traction under wheels and a set of tire chains or traction mats
There are steps you can take in advance for greater wintertime safety in your car.
Have maintenance service on your vehicle as often as the manufacturer recommends. In addition, every fall, do the following:
- Have the radiator system serviced or check the antifreeze level yourself with an antifreeze tester. Add antifreeze as needed.
- Replace windshield-wiper fluid with a wintertime mixture.
- Replace any worn tires, make sure the tires have adequate tread, and check the air pressure in the tires.
Keep your car fueled and in good working order. Be sure to check the following:
- Windshield wiper fluid (wintertime mixture)
- Brake fluid
- Emergency flashers
- Tires (air pressure and wear)